Pithoragarh District having its entire northern and eastern boundaries being international, assumes a great strategic significance and, obviously, is a politically sensitive district along the northern frontier of India. Being the last district adjoining Tibbet, it has tremendous strategic importance as the passes of Lipulekh, Kungribingri, Lampia Dhura, Lawe Dhura, Belcha and Keo, open out to Tibbet. The breath taking beauty of Pithoragarh – Himalayas, wide expenses of grassy meadow, perennial streams roaring down the zig-zag course, a stupendous variety of flora and fauna, above all, pure nature yet unsullied, seem to beckon the beholder into their folds, into a charmed world of virgin beauty.
It was in the wake of the Chinese aggression that on the 24th Feb. 1960, a sizeable section of Almora district was carved into Pithoragarh district containing extreme border areas with its head quarters in Pithoragarh town. On 15th September 1997, the Champawat Tehsil, hitherto under Pithoragarh, was carved into Champawat district.
The Pithoragarh town is located at a height of 1645 meters above sea level.The district lies between 29.4° to 30.3° North latitude and 80° to 81° East longitude along the eastern and southern part of the central Himalayas with Indo-Tibbetan watershed divide in the north and the Kali river.
forming a continuous border with Nepal in the east. The
Pithoragarh district is surrounded by the national boundaries of
Bageshwar and Chamoli districts and extends over an area of 7,217.7 sq. Kms. The details of the land utilization are given as below :
There are numerous scenic spots to which the prospective tourist may plan excursions like Chandak, Thal Kedar, Gangolihat (77 kms) famous for its kali temple, Patal Bhuvneshwar (99 kms) , Berinag (Tea Garden of Chaukori – 11 km away from Berinag), Didihat,Munsyari (base camp for traks to Milam,Ralam and Namik Glacier), Dharchula(base camp for Kailas Mansarover Yatra, Adi Kailash Yatra, Narayan Swami Ashram) and Jauljibi.